Today is November 5, 2016, this is to notify customers no order will be accepted between November 6, 2016 through November 20, 2016. Thank you for visiting the site and please come again soon.
Hello and welcome to my Buckram Hat Frames Introduction Page. On these pages you will find a large selection of buckram hat frames which are created from my collection of more than one hundred wooden crowns and brims blocks. Most of these hat frames are different from any others being offered and allow you to create unique designs.
To those new to the covering process; many milliners use buckram to make hats because they can be worn year round. In addition buckram frames are perfect for new milliners, those not having blocks, fashion accessory designers, costumers, those wishing to learn the covering process of hat making, and anyone interested in hats. These and all hat frames are considered unfinished because they lack outer coverings, linings... and embellishments for those wishing to add them.
For those unfamiliar with buckram, it is a woven cotton fiber that has been stiffened. It can be molded into various shapes and is used in costumes and numerous other products. In this particular case wooden hat blocks, buckram, and other millinery supplies are used to create hat shapes.
Buckram can be covered with almost any type of pliable fabric including feathers and other materials making it easy to cover, coordinate, and match wearing apparel. Many older vintage hats made using buckram still exist after more than 50 years. The hats on the covered hat pages will give you ideas of styles that may be achieved. Those extra ordinarily creative people can create their own unique designs or use these hat frames to make styles no one else has because most of the hat frames on these pages are NOT sold or produced by other milliners.
All the frames on the hat frame pages are individually hand-blocked and you may choose various crowns and brims to create truly unique fashions by simply adding different crowns brims. Below are some hat making tips.
HAT MAKING TIPS AND OTHER INFORMATION
1. The brims you order may often be clipped to achieve particular head sizes, some may show indent cord lines. This usually does not affect attaching them to crowns, which sit on top of the brim and covers indented lines. Occasionally the brims may have tiny pinholes near or in the cord-line. This is part of the hand blocking process, and once the brim is covered with fabric the cord lines are undetected.
2. Unlike mechanically blocked hat frames, hand-blocked crowns may also have a pleated-look near the edge. This is the result of blocking a smaller area than the upper part of the crown, and occasionally even machine-blocked crowns display pleats. For your information the taller the crowns, the more likely there will be soft pleats with buckram frames, the exception to this rule is when hand-blocked hats are made in pieces and sewn together.
3. When covering deep buckram crowns with lightweight fabric, it is advisable to use more than one layer. When using sheers it is advisable to use a separate biased piece of fabric on the pleated area before covering it with fabric you wish to be seen. If you choose not to use double covering, use some type of adornment after the hat has been covered.
4. When trying to achieve particular designs make sure you take pictures of each design because occasionally materials such as horse hair move and the design is lost once a pin or whatever is holding it moves.
5. Many of you use glue to secure embellishments. Keep in mind glue damages the materials and if you decide to make changes you are stuck with glue that almost always cannot be completely removed without damaging the hat. I hope this information is helpful and if I can be of further assistance do not hesitate to contact me, In the meantime happy hat making.
All hat frames and hats are shipped in boxes within two days of payment received through US mail. Most require average to large boxes which account for part of the shipping charges. If for any reason your order can not be shipped within that time period, you will be notified and have the options of waiting or having your monies refunded. if you have other questions or comments call or e-mail me.